Option to copy and paste a stage within same or other protocol(s)

Hi!
Just to make sure I’m not missing the fact that this feature already exists, it is not possible at the moment to copy/paste a stage in Architect within same or other protocol(s) right?
I personally think that would be really useful, for instance for repetitive attributes questions about nodes or ties that can come back at several points in a questionnaire. Or when wanting to use one good stage in a new questionnaire.
Is that at all possible?

Also, just a minor thing, but to post these messages here, I don’t see “architect” as an optional tag, while it exists for interviewer and server. Maybe that would be useful? Most of my questions have been about architect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Maya!

Thanks for your question and suggestion. We’ve gone ahead and added the tag for ‘architect’ to this post. If you ever want to create a tag, you should have the option to do so when you create a new post (i.e., rather than selecting an existing tag from the drop down menu, you create one by typing in the text and hitting enter).

With regard to your question about functionality to copy/paste a stage in Architect - unfortunately this isn’t possible in the current software. We appreciate the suggestion and should we have resources to support the development of this in the future, we will consider it. Perhaps there is someone with technical knowledge in this user community who might be interested in implementing such a feature given its broad utility? If someone chooses to take it up, we could offer some high level technical guidance.

• Kate
1 Like

Thanks Kate, I have been trying a few times to add a new tag myself, but each time I hit “enter” or click on the “+”, nothing happens.

Fingers crossed someone else with technical knowledge is interested in implementing such a feature, it would save so much time to many users! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi! Just to say that after having posted a few more times since this post, it’s still not an option to manually add a tag myself - only possible to use tags in the existing list. Unless I’m the only one having that issue, I guess it would help the community to have that option and create better targeted search functionalities. :slight_smile:

Hey @Maya! Thanks so much for following up on this, and apologies for the trouble you’re having defining tags. This is the first we’ve heard of this issue. Would you mind posting a screenshot of what happens when you attempt to manually create a tag (i.e., what options are available to you)?

Hey @Kate ,
here is a screenshot, of when I try to add “test” as a tag for instance:
When clicking on the “+”, nothing happens (the options disappear).

Hi Maya

I changed a setting in the backend that will hopefully allow you to create tags. Please give it another try.

Unfortunately we didn’t create the forum software, so if that doesn’t work you might just have to make do with having us tag posts for you :slight_smile:

Yup it works now!
:wink:

I just wanted to follow up on this. It would be great if there was a way to export the Protocol File in a format that allowed us to copy and paste questions within different protocols - I am thinking something like the idea behind the RedCap Data Dictionary. Does this type of file data even exist that we could perhaps look into coding something to do it?

Hey @AaronGuest

If you check my answer to your other question, you’ll see that Network Canvas uses a very simple JSON based file format (wrapped in a zip file container). It would be very much possible to write scripts to process this data if you wanted to. You could even have a “template” protocol containing a list of prompts, and then write a script that would “generate” full protocols by adding these prompts to existing stages. It wouldn’t be trivial, but it could be done.

Otherwise, I agree this would be a really neat feature. I’m afraid I’ve got to parrot our usual response, which is that we are no longer funded to actively develop new features, but since the software is open source we would welcome contributions from the community that add new features. We are also always interested in pursuing paid collaboration work.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again, @Joshua. I have no idea why I missed all of these replies! But that makes sense as well. It is something we will look into with our team here - hopefully, there will be some opportunity for collaboration to get some of this down. We often include developmental funding in our budget requests - so perhaps it is worthwhile a conversation in the future about including you all as part of the funding requests! Thanks,

1 Like