How do I track which prompt or stage a node was created on?

Hi guys!

I utilized Network canvas to collect egocentric networks without collecting information on the links between the alters, hence no sociogram-stage was employed. I used four name-generators questions before the name interpreters, however when I export the data in CSV, I get the NodeID list generated by each Ego, but I can’t (or haven’t been able to) find out from which question was generated each alter. Is there any way to show and know that? Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Best

Hi Felipe!

The prompt/stage that your nodes were nominated on is not automatically exported with the data. If you want to track this information, I suggest you use the “additional variables” feature.

The basic idea is that for each prompt, you create a boolean variable that will be automatically set to true for any nodes that are created (or if from a roster nominated) on that prompt. All variables set in this way will be included in your exported data.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

Great, so this way, when exporting the CSV there will be a new column for each variable, with TRUE/FALSE values depending on whether the node was nominated in that prompt.

Unfortunately, I didn’t do that before applying the surveys. Is there a way to correct the protocol, add those variables, and then export the data again? In other words, force collected surveys to use a different protocol than the one used in the data collection?

I’m so sorry Felipe, but I’m afraid there isn’t. If you still have the interview sessions within the Interviewer app, you could manually verify where nodes were created based on the name generator prompt they appear on, but this would be a tedious process.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. I will have a think about if we can change this behaviour in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Joshua!

And yes, my plan B was to do it manually. Fun days are coming :sweat_smile: . But at least I know how not to avoid this mistake in the future!

1 Like